Minnesota officials gave an update on Wednesday’s deadly shooting at a Minneapolis Catholic school at a Thursday afternoon press conference, discussing new details about injuries and the background of the suspect, 23-year-old Robin Westman.
The shooting at the Annunciation Catholic School killed two children and left 18 others injured, rocking the nation and drawing an outpouring of support from politicians on both sides of the aisle.
“Minnesota is heartbroken. From the officers responding, to the clergy and teachers providing comfort, to the hospital staff saving lives, we will get through this together. Hug your kids close,” Gov. Tim Walz (D) said in a post on the social platform X.
Here are some key updates on the shooting from the press conference Thursday:
Another child added to those injured
Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara said that an “additional child” had been shot during the shooting “that we weren’t aware of at the time of the last briefing.”
“There’s one additional child that was injured by gunfire that we weren’t aware of at the time of the last briefing. They were transported by private vehicle to a hospital outside of the city, and the report was actually made to police after they had been treated and released,” O’Hara said.
116 rifle rounds recovered
O’Hara also said that amid “the processing of the scene at Annunciation Church yesterday, three shotgun shells were recovered, along with approximately 116 rifle rounds.”
“One live round was recovered from a handgun that appears to have malfunctioned as the shooter attempted to use it and became stuck in the chamber,” he added during the press conference.
4 search warrants executed
Four search warrants had been “executed” Wednesday, the Minneapolis police chief said.
“One at the church, the others were executed at residences believed to be associated with the shooter,” O’Hara said. “One of those residences was in the city of Minneapolis, a second one was in Richfield, and a third one was in St. Louis Park, which are both bordering municipalities.”
The suspect allegedly expressed hate toward multiple groups
Acting U.S. Attorney for the District of Minnesota Joseph Thompson said during the press conference that Westman, the suspect, “left behind hundreds of pages of writings, writings that describe the shooter’s plan, writings that describe the shooter’s mental state and more than anything, writings that describe the shooter’s hate.”
“Pure, indiscriminate hate. The shooter expressed hate towards almost every group [imaginable],” Thompson added. “The shooter expressed hate towards Black people. The shooter expressed hate towards Mexican people. The shooter expressed hate towards Christian people. The shooter expressed hate towards Jewish people. In short, the shooter appeared to hate all of us.”
No evidence firearms illegally purchased
“We have nothing in the evidence that we have acquired so far that would indicate that he is a person — that he did not lawfully purchase these weapons,” O’Hara said of the suspect during the press conference.
Copyright 2025 Nexstar Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
For the latest news, weather, sports, and streaming video, head to The Hill.
Comments